Six reasons to NaNo at your library.
November is NaNoWriMo. Your library should get in on the madness—here’s why.
1. Built in audience. NaNo has a built in audience, there are thousands of people around the country already participating. They are probably writing at their kitchen table or local coffee shop, but would love to be writing at your library…all you have to do is advertise on the NaNoWriMo events page, or get up with the Municipal Liaison (ML) in your area.
2. Increase library members. The people mentioned above may not be library patrons, but after having a positive experience writing in your library for 30 days, they may very well become dedicated library card-carrying members of society.
3. Library as part of the community. Are you seeing an ongoing theme here? NaNo is a great way to connect with your community. By providing a place for people to write, partnering with local writing groups or authors to create NaNo themed programs, or even partnering with your local Starbucks to provide free coffee for the last stretch, there are a dozen ways to get involved with your community.
4. Minimal staff time. Not a lot of staff time to spare? No problem. Just providing tables near outlets, or a quiet meeting or study room for NaNo participants is a great way to support NaNo, connect with the writing community and prove the library is a great place.
5. Opportunity to expand the support of NaNo. Planning a writing workshop at your library in October? Or looking to start a writing group? Capitalizing on the momentum of NaNo during November can provide a great base for getting people to attend your other writing programs, and blending writing programs before and after November is a great way to expand the support of NaNo and get people into your library all fall—or all year round!
6. Free resources! NaNoWriMo provides a free resource PDF for libraries and a free kit including a poster, decals, and bookmarks. It doesn’t get easier than that.
Ready to get excited about NaNoWriMo at your library? Checkout the official website and get ready to get your NaNo on.